Former director convicted of dishonest conduct

A former director of a financial advice company was today convicted of dishonest conduct.

In October 2014 Barry David Hassell of Athelstone, South Australia, pleaded guilty to 39 charges including dishonest conduct, providing ASIC with false or misleading information and failing to provide a disclosure document to clients (refer: 14-268MR).

Mr Hassell’s misconduct occurred for more than seven years during his time as a director of B.D. & W.J. Hassell Pty Ltd and as a former authorised representative of a number of Australian financial services licensees. Mr Hassell provided advice to clients about life insurance and superannuation products.

Appearing in the Adelaide District Court, Mr Hassell was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment, to be released forthwith on his own recognisance of $100, to be of good behaviour for a period of 12 months.

ASIC Deputy Chairman Peter Kell said: ‘Mr Hassell failed to act in the best interests of his clients. ASIC and the courts will not tolerate conduct that does not live up to community expectations.’

The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions prosecuted the matter.

Source: ASIC

Leave a Comment

It lives! How the protection of a prudential regulator convinced Mulino to revive DBFO

It lives! How the protection of a prudential regulator convinced Mulino to revive DBFO

The additional consumer protections provided by a prudential regulator ultimately convinced Minister for Financial Services Daniel Mulino that he could go ahead with a restricted form of the new class of adviser proposals contained in the Delivering Better Financial Outcomes reforms. At the Conexus 2026 Retirement Leaders Summit on Wednesday, Mulino said his thinking had been reshaped by the collapse of the Shield and First Guardian managed investment schemes.

Sort content by